GAR (Geelong Animal Rescue GAR Ltd) is often confused with GAWS (Geelong Animal Welfare Society).
Whilst GAR does assist GAWS with re-homing GAWS animals, we are completely separate entities.
GAWS is the animal shelter in Moolap, with a full time in-house vet and paid staff.
GAR has none of these.
GAR operates from within the homes of its volunteers. All GAR volunteers and members are unpaid and donate their time and effort to provide a voice for the unwanted animals of Geelong and wider Victoria.
We volunteer our time, effort and resources because we are passionate about the rescue and rehabilitation of companion animals.
Our mission is to provide a voice for abandoned, neglected and unloved cats and dogs. We aim to provide compassion and quality of life for rescued animals via love and expert rehabilitation. Our ultimate goal is to re home GAR animals into loving ‘forever’ families.
We desex every animal that comes into care to positively contribute to reducing the stray pet population of Victoria.
GAR has a ‘no kill’ policy. We work closely with Victorian Pounds to help reduce their overpopulation and save lives.
You can’t change the world by helping one animal……but you will change the world for that one animal.
- GAR operates from the homes of its volunteers.
- GAR has a network of over 90+ volunteer foster carers, and growing.
- There are no paid volunteers or members of GAR.
- GAR was registered as a Not-for-profit Charity on April 17, 2012.
- GAR submits annual financial figures to the ACNC (Australian Charity & Not-for-Profit Commission), an independent regulatory body of the Australian Government.
As at December 31, 2016:
- GAR had changed the lives of 982 animals, at least one animal every second day of the year.
- GAR had spent $380,068 on animal related expenses.
- GAR had earned $216,375 in adoption fees.
- The deficit of $163,693 was generated by fund raising and donations.
- GAR had 12,682 followers on Facebook.
- Most of GARs animals are surrendered by the public of Geelong or rescued from Pounds throughout Victoria.
- GAR desexes, microchips, vaccinates, worms, fleas and registers every animal that comes into care. Every animal is carefully checked over by qualified vet.
- At peak season, GAR can have over 80 animals within its foster care network.
- GAR has a current $10M public liability insurance policy.